Biloxi Lighthouse

The Biloxi Lighthouse, erected in 1848 and one of the first cast-iron lighthouses in the South, is the city’s signature landmark and has become a post-Katrina symbol of the city’s resolve and resilience.

The light was civilian operated from 1848 to 1939, and is notable for its several female lightkeepers, including Maria Younghans, who tended the light for 53 years. In 1939, the U.S. Coast Guard assumed responsibility for the light’s operation. After being declared surplus property in 1968, the Biloxi Lighthouse was deeded to the City of Biloxi.